Friday, October 01, 2010

The Best of Feeding Tiny Vegans, part 2

March 21, 2009 - Loves Silk Key Lime Yogurt! So do I.

Monday, April 27, 2009 - T.V. stress!
Wow, this feeding tiny vegans thing is stressful! She loves to ask for things to eat, and because she used to eat what she asked for, all the time, I usually still give her what she asks for in the hope she'll eat it. And she frequently doesn't these days. So she asks for yogurt, I give her yogurt, she ignores it, I put it in a resealable container, and then she refuses to believe whatever is in this reuseable container is edible. Blargh!

Today we had some diluted fruit punch, chocolate silk, watermelon, black olives, strawberries, grapes, brown rice, a bite of tortilla with tvp taco mix, 2 bites of a sunbutter and jelly sandwich cut with our nifty new sandwich cutter:

 

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - Pizza

UGH! Our bellies are full, very full, of pizza!

The dough was made in the bread machine, the marinara was scratch from Yellow Rose Recipes by Joanna Vaught, the veggies (mushrooms, red onions, spinach) were sauteed, the fyh mozz MELTED!! I don't know if it matters, but this time I put the cheese on top of the veggies, and I had her help me put the cheese on. And she kept eating and eating!

 

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 - Bagels

Okay. So T.V. has always been relatively fond of bagels, but we usually just have them with some earth balance or vegan smart balance. But the closest bagel place to us (there aren't a lot) - The Bagel Caboose - has vegan tofu cream cheese! Plain, veggie, and cinnamon raisin! Their bagels kinda suck - they don't even make them there - but the spread . . . mmm! So a bagel with some tofu veggie and some tomato goes over really well.

Grilled Teese and Tomato
So in a PPK arranged swap, I was paired up with Karyn (who just happened to be someone I actually already liked!). She was fabulously awesome enough to send me, in addition to a gazillion other cool things, Teese and Sheese!

So the other day, I made a grilled teese and tomato and a grilled tofutti slice and tomato. And the tofutti was okay but the teese was awesome. So awesome that T.V. ate 3/4 of a sandwich!! She has NEVER eaten that much sandwich. Victory!

 

Thursday, July 9, 2009 - More YRR Sucesses!

So I busted out my personally signed copy of Yellow Rose Recipes by the amazing Joanna Vaught yesterday and made Green-Wa. And today I made scrambled tofu. And T.V. ate some of each! A wonder.

Oh, what's that? You're wondering what the heck green-wa is? It's quinoa with an awesome green tinge, brought about by scallions, (blended!) spinach and peas. Veggies, calcium, protein! Rock on. ROCK ON. I used parsley instead of the required cilantro cause that's what I had. Which was dumb, cause I hate parsley and love cilantro. But it was still good!!

Yes, I hate parsley. And yes, I love cilantro. Cilantro haters confuse me.

What's next from YRR? Cajun tofu, tofu marsala, black bean and sweet potato burritos. Not necessarily in that order.

Thanks again, Joanna!

 

Thursday, March 25, 2010 - Missy Chase Lapine's "The Sneaky Chef"

Hi! Sorry it's been so long - I've been having toddler feeding issues with not enough success. I realize that's kinda the point of this blog, so I'll be better :)

Yesterday at the library I got out Missy Chase Lapine's "The Sneaky Chef." Now, I had hoped way back when that I wouldn't need these sort of sneaky tricks - hoping that as a 99%+ vegan kid, T.V. would be naturally inclined to love everything I feed her. HA! Anyway, I was just thumbing through the book, and I'm pretty excited to try a few recipes. It's true, it's not vegan, so I'll be working with the more easily veganizable recipes. First up? Health-by-Chocolate Cookies featuring a flour blend that includes white flour, whole wheat flour and wheat germ, and purple puree which includes spinach and blueberries; and Cheesy Animal Crackers that include the flour blend and chickpeas! I think we'll make the crackers today and the cookies tomorrow.

So why am I so interested in sneaking these things into T.V.? Her two favorite foods right now are butter sandwiches (I can get whole wheat into her unless her dad is around - he doesn't eat whole wheat) and pasta. White pasta only. With butter, not sauce. The best I can do for squeezing in healthier stuff is to add butter (smart balance organic) and sea salt and pepper and nooch and garlic powder and some miso.

 

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - Sneaky Unbelievable Chocolate Chip Cookies

Unbelievable? I think so! They're in the oven now, but the batter - wow! So what's in these cookies? Most amazingly - white beans!! Now, I know - I have always shuddered at beans in sweet things - like the oh so popular black bean brownies - but really - they don't taste beany! T.V. and I sampled a tiny bit of the dough and it was good! Also inside: whole wheat flour, spelt flour (I'm out of white), wheat germ, oats, and flax seed (my egg substitute). I'm not going to calculate nutritional info, but if I can get T.V. to eat beans, I'm psyched. The true test? To see if the husband eats them! >:D

 

Friday, June 25, 2010 - Popchips!

At Target the other day, I was scouring the back aisles (that's where they put clearance stuff - the back aisles in every section) when I saw a bag of multigrain popchips! marked down to $1.38! We'd tried the original before and it was a big hit, so I grabbed a bag. I opened them in the car after turning on the air conditioner (it's been over 100ยบ with the heat index lately - here I'll mention that New Englanders do NOT belong this far south) and T.V. and I began scarfing them down - they're good!

Photobucket

The ingredients: whole grains (steel cut oats, wheat, brown rice, rye, triticale, barley, buckwheat, quinoa), whole grain flours (corn, brown rice, oat, oat bran, corn bran, barley, rye, buckwheat, millet), safflower oil and/or sunflower oils, sesame seeds, sea salt.

And I say again - they're so good! Love. A bit concerned that the multigrain flavor was on clearance and that it's not shown on the site . . .

No comments: