Thursday, September 19, 2013

Red Lentils Hyderabadi

 photo 180x180_g5_zpsd93d09c4.jpg


A while back, I made this recipe for red lentils from Madhur Jaffrey's book. I loved them, but what surprised me was that the kiddo loved them too! Basically, you saute mustard seeds and curry leaves in oil and put that on top of prepared red lentils. The recipe calls for hot peppers, but I leave those out. 


 photo IMG_6585_zps65d41e9f.jpg


I made the lentils again last night, but tried draining some liquid to see what I thought of them that way. Sadly, the first time I added cumin seeds as well as mustard seeds, and I forgot and didn't do that last night. They were still yummy, but not quite as amazing. Also, I think we liked it better runnier! Go figure. 


 photo IMG_1727_zpsb5e61632.jpg

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I would like them runnier too. It seems the thicker red lentils would just seem mushy to me. It sounds delicious with the mustard and cumin. So glad to see kiddo embracing the spices. I'm sure that makes your life easier

dropscone said...

I have a couple of her books but like most of my recipe collection I haven't got around to making an actual dish from the book, and up until now hadn't seen much vegan love for her, so it's nice to see this. Which book is it you have?

Sarah said...

Dawn, it does! Wait til I post what she ate last night!

dropscone - World Vegetarian! It's tough because it doesn't have any pics, but the things I've made from there are always good.

Unknown said...

Yum - I had a red lentil tea tonight too. So satisfying!

Veg-In-Training said...

I think the runnier version looks better. It sounds so perfectly yummy!