Tuesday, September 02, 2014

BBQ Tofu & Coleslaw Sandwiches


Day #2 of Vegan MoFo! 

One of the (very few) things we miss about NC is the BBQ Tofu sandwiches at the Black Cat Cafe in Raleigh NC. Even my husband, who isn't a vegan, misses them. Last night, he set about to recreate these sandwiches, with BBQ tofu and cole slaw. They were really yummy, but too spicy - the called for hot sauce in the recipe was too much for us and definitely for the kiddo, so cut down on that unless you like things to burn.

Please excuse the non-gluten free rolls. I had a moment of weakness. The commissary had some ridiculously moldy Schar rolls the last time we went, and I can't buy anything from that section for awhile now, to ease my freaked out mind.



Today we got a last minute invite to a friend's potluck thing. I made more coleslaw and some tiny cupcakes. Then I made some black bean burgers which were good, and everyone ate theirs, yay!


I tried some of the mini cupcakes and some frosting, so not my healthiest day. But the commissary has the silk soy yogurt on sale for $.75! 

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Glad y'all got close to Black Cat's sandwich! And I love that you used the red cabbage for slaw. I'm going to have to try that. This part of NC misses you ;) Happy MoFo.

sara said...

Moldy rolls would freak me out about future purchases, too. The burgers look so good!

Unknown said...

Ooohhhh, this is getting me all hungry for lunch (which will not be nearly as tasty as all this looks) - those little potatoes look so perfect.

Amey said...

how nice to (semi) re-create an old favorite. Hopefully you can get it just right next time. :)