Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wherein I Learn a Harsh Minty Lesson

Just today, after 9 years of veganism, I googled to find out if pep-o-mint lifesavers are vegan. I couldn't find the answers, so I called Wrigley to ask.

They aren't vegan.

They're not even vegetarian. 

They have stearic acid derived from pigs and cows. Two dead animals in one tiny minty product! 

I felt a little queasy, I confess. How many of those lifesavers have I eaten in the last 9 years? I don't have them all the time, but when I'm in a lifesaver cycle (and I had been recently because of a recurring cough), there are at least a few of the big ones a day.

Ugh. Thankfully I was on my way to the (overpriced) health food store, so I found some Yummy Earth peppermints, and I'm sucking on one now, trying to get the memory of those nasty lifesavers out of my head. And mouth. 

Blech. 

5 comments:

Sara Jayne said...

Wow, never would have guessed! They're our weekly church candy, guess I need to find a new one :)

Just found your blog and now following!

Sara
http://thesortofvegan.blogspot.com/

meshell said...

blah, I'd hate to find that out, but it happens. It's been a long time and I still read ingredients out of habit. Every once and a while I'm pleasantly surprised that a company has gone accidentally-vegan, other times... I find out they've added something awful to a product I used to enjoy!

Sarah said...

Sara, it doesn't make sense! Apparently the fruity ones are vegan, but I think I just quit them altogether. Ick. And thanks!! I just checked your blog link but it says it doesn't exist?

meshell - I've gotten a little lazy, but no more!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} said...

Ugh, yuck! Why in the world do mints need TWO animals in them. That is gross.

Sarah said...

Agreed. Times two.