Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Food Stuff: Making Kombucha!

Those of you who are here for the food, I owe you, what with all my new book posts and all. So here you go - my post on something I've been doing a lot of - making kombucha! 

A few months ago I added one of those expensive kombucha brewing kits to my amazon wishlist. Shortly there after, one of the vegans I "know" (online, woo!) offered to send me a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of yeast and bacteria) aka a mushroom so I could brew my own kombucha. I was a little scared of the idea at first, but I couldn't turn down a free SCOBY so I figured I'd give it a try, and I ordered a 1 gallon glass jar to brew in. 

Here on the right is the SCOBY Annie mailed me, and on the left is the SCOBY I've made after 3 batches!

 photo IMG_1312-1_zpsf96c1c3d.jpg

And here's my classy bottling - you aren't supposed to use bottles with metal tops but it's all I ahve right now.

 photo IMG_4927_zps09fca6e8.jpg

My best batch yet! Look at this fizz after one bottling!

 photo IMG_1314-1_zps84b30b73.jpg

So here are the directions I've been using. I've done a batch with black tea, a batch that's half black and half green, and a batch that was all green. So far my unrefined palate doesn't taste a huge difference, but I'm sure I'll get there.

At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the home brewed booch because it is a little bit different, but that's mostly because I haven't been flavoring most of the bottles. I did make a strawberry one today and a strawberry orange one, so I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

Vegan Triangle said...

Have got to try to make my own booch! :)