Monday, March 25, 2013

Book Stuff: Nantucket Blue

 photo NantucketBlue_zps8dbdde23.jpg

From Goodreads


For Cricket Thompson, a summer like this one will change everything. A summer spent on Nantucket with her best friend, Jules Clayton, and the indomitable Clayton family. A summer when she’ll make the almost unattainable Jay Logan hers. A summer to surpass all dreams.
Some of this turns out to be true. Some of it doesn’t. 
When Jules and her family suffer a devastating tragedy that forces the girls apart, Jules becomes a stranger whom Cricket wonders whether she ever really knew. And instead of lying on the beach working on her caramel-colored tan, Cricket is making beds and cleaning bathrooms to support herself in paradise for the summer.
But it’s the things Cricket hadn’t counted on--most of all, falling hard for someone who should be completely off-limits--that turn her dreams into an exhilarating, bittersweet reality.
A beautiful future is within her grasp, and Cricket must find the grace to embrace it. If she does, her life could be the perfect shade of Nantucket blue.

I was excited to read this book (I received a digital ARC) because I love a good summer at the beach kind of book (Jenny Han's summer books are some of the best I've read so far), so I jumped at the chance to read this book. The main character of this book, Cricket, lives in RI, and as a girl who grew up in southeastern CT, for me, that made her easier to identify with. 

There are some books that aren't really AMAZING books that I round up the rating of, purely based on how they remind me of my own teenage years - this is one of those books (I gave it 4 out of 5 on goodreads). While I enjoyed this book, there were a few issues with it that bugged me - some with good reason (some of the things Cricket thinks don't mesh well with her character's voice), and some because Jules, the best friend, gave me flashbacks to a horrible best friend I had in high school, but that's a personal issue so I won't fault the book ;)

This was an enjoyable read, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a beachy summer book.

No comments: