Monday, October 08, 2012

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls: Gluten Free Flop

Photobucket

Since I'm not supposed to eat gluten (I keep saying I'm gluten intolerant, but it might be that I have IBS with a gluten trigger - is there a difference? Do I care?) and since my husband was sad I finished the last cinnamon roll without him realizing, I remade the pumpkin cinnamon rolls again today. I did the same recipe but with 1 cup of chickpea flour, 3/4 cup of brown rice flour, and the rest was an unmeasured mix of 1/4 total cup tapioca flour and buckwheat flour. I also added 1 teaspoon of xanthum gum and the spices I wanted (more nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, powdered ginger).

The result?


Photobucket


They didn't rise much either time but I baked them anyway, just in case. Apparently when they don't rise the brown sugar/butter mixture doesn't get stuck so it all melts out the bottom. So sad. The icing I threw together - some powdered sugar, some water, some maple syrup, some maple extract - yummy! - so some of the bites of the rolls at the bottom have caramelized sugar, so that's good. So sad. 

2 comments:

Dawn said...

So sad :( I might take a go at them too before the month is up and see if we can come up with something.

Jen said...

There's a real learning curve to GF baked goods. Don't beat yourself up.