Monday, June 11, 2012

Cake!

For Christmas my daughter told my husband she needed to get me the huge Wilton cake decorating kit from Michael's. In addition to the kit, the purchase during December meant that I would get 3 free Wilton decorating classes from Michael's! Of course I couldn't find the receipt and then I did and just kept forgetting to bring it to the store, blah blah, and I finally brought my receipt in about 2 weeks ago. They said that since it had taken me so long they could only give me one free class which was fine (one class is actually four classes, 1 each Monday for a month). 


Today was a rough day for me and my class. I had to bring the kiddo (who was really bored at the last class - they're 2 hours long) and on the way it rained so hard I couldn't see the road. We made it to Michael's safe and sound and the parking lot was flooded about 2" deep and the big bottom drawer in my kit fell out and some of my equipment floated away and I was soaking wet and I had a migraine and I didn't have all the equipment I needed - BLAH BLAH. So here's some cake pics! 


Here's the outside of the cake I started to decorate (I didn't have enough frosting - BLAH BLAH)


Photobucket


It's a lemon cake - I messed around with the vanilla cupcake recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking (I usually use Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for all my cake/cupcake needs but I've been trying new things) and made that, and then I filled it with blueberry filling (blueberry jam thinned out with some simple syrup, a suggestion given by my best friend's brother, a graduate of the CIA) and frosted it with vanilla frosting. Here's a shot of the inside.


Photobucket


The cake was okay. The texture wasn't what I was going for and it needed more salt. (eta: this cake was better the day after and the day after that!)


Yesterday I made a practice cake with my new 8x3" Wilton Performance cake pan - that one was chocolate (also from The Joy of Vegan Baking) and it was amazing, except for the fact that part of the inside was undercooked. Alas.


Photobucket


Photobucket


And here are the adorable and yummy cupcakes I made for the kiddo's teacher for a baby shower of sorts the mom's gave her. They're vanilla (the JOVB recipe left as is) with lightly strawberry flavored frosting. The kiddo added the sprinkles, of course.


Photobucket


Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post is amazing!! i wish i could grab a slice through the screen!!! thanks for sharing!

Debbie @ Live from La Quinta said...

They sure look delicious! I'll have to check out that cookbook. I don't bake much, but every now and then I get inspired.

Btw, I love your blog's tagline. The only thing missing is Yes, I do get enough protein! :-)

omgoshimvegan said...

That cake looks wonderful. I wish I had a steady hand when it came to decorating a cake. And I wish I had a piece of your cake.