Monday, May 14, 2012

I spend a bit of time every week trying to figure out if there's some kind of vegan treat (cookies, cupcakes, lollipops, tarts, etc.) that I can make really well and then sell. 


Today's idea was cookie sandwiches like oatmeal cream pies. I'm out of powdered sugar for making some kind of frosting/filling but I figured I could at least work on an oatmeal cookie. After looking through almost all of my cookbooks, I found that all of the recipes use at least some oil, and right now I only have extra virgin olive oil, so I decided to make oatmeal cookies with butter! I've never come up with a baked good from scratch by myself so I was a little scared but I went for it.


I started by creaming together


1/2 cup earth balance
1/2 cup dark brown sugar 


in my Kitchen Aid. After that was done I added


1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk (I used 8th continent original)


and mixed that up. Then I added


2 cups gluten free oats
1 cup bob's all purpose gluten free flour
1 tbsp ground flax seed


I used my 1 tbsp cookie dough scoop and put 9 scoops on my greased cookie sheet (I wasn't sure if they'd spread - they didn't) and preheated the oven to 350ยบ. Once the oven was preheated I cooked the dough for 8 minutes and I let them cool for about 5 minutes. They were pretty good, if I do say so my self. Fluffy and oaty and lovely and they didn't taste gluten free. 


Also, if you're on Weight Watchers like me and wonder what the points are for this recipe - well, I calculated it, and let's just say that if you're trying to be a good WWer, don't make them. 3 points each assuming 24 smallish cookies. I'm bringing them to my husband at work tomorrow. 


Photobucket

No comments: