Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Artichokes and Meyer Lemon Tofu

The other day at Trader Joe's (we drove to Raleigh to get there) I saw these big beautiful artichokes for $1.29 each. I'm sure that most of you know that artichokes are usually in bad shape or too expensive and it's usually both. These were beautiful and huge so I had to buy them. 


I made artichokes one other time about 3 years ago and baby Livi and I loved them. Back then I steamed them and served them with a dipping sauce, but I have no idea what sauce I made. This time I found C'est La Vegan's recipe for a tangy dipping sauce and I knew it was the one I wanted to make. Of course reduced fat Vegenaise is my usual mayo of choice but I had coupons for free jars of the new Earth Balance Mindful Mayo so I used that. I finished up my jar of organic and then I moved on to the olive oil version. They both taste fine but the latter had a better texture and a slightly better flavor, but for the nutritional content I'll stick to the reduced fat Vegenaise. 


For the tofu I based my marinade on the one found on A Profound Hatred of Meat and I'm not sure how I haven't seen this blog before with an awesome name like that! My marinade was:


2 tbsp meyer lemon juice (I was juicing a bag of them I had in the fridge)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tamari
1/2 cup veggie broth
1 tsp finally crushed dried parsley


I pressed the tofu in my tofu xpress for about 2 hours and then I added the marinade to my pyrex baking dish and then I put the tofu in. I baked it at 400ยบ for 25 minutes and then flipped the tofu and baked it for another 25 minutes. 


I served mine with brown rice and the kiddo's with white rice. Then when my husband didn't make it home for dinner I ate his artichoke too. Ha!


Photobucket

No comments: