Monday, October 11, 2010

P90X Diet Info

So the P90X Diet plan can be tough enough to figure out without trying to figure out how to do it vegan (I'm hoping that since they're working on a vegan formulation of Shakeology now, that more vegan friendly P90X and Beachbody stuff isn't far behind!:) and I've spent a lot of time thinking and reading. As you can see from the picture below, I've actually spent a lot of time working on "perfect" ratios of food - here is the side of my fridge - clockwise from the top left that's Jillian Michaels' diet plan, Jae Steele's plan from Get It Ripe, Dr. Fuhrman's plan from Eat to Live and the vegan food pyramid (and the Kripalu ad, cause I'd love to go to Kripalu (assuming I didn't have to be away from my awesome kiddo for more than a day, hence part of my no Kripalu for me problem!)).

Photobucket

Yesterday I found this youtube video on planning out your meals. Here's a picture summary of the plan:

Photobucket

Inspired by that, I'm trying it out today. Here's my day so far, the sticky note way!

Breakfast - 9oz of house brand firm tofu scrambled with the VwaV spices and spinach.

Photobucket

Lunch - smoothie! 16 oz of kikkoman unsweetened vanilla soy milk, 1 banana, 2 tbsp rice protein, 1 tbsp ground flax, 1/2 of a frozen peach.

Photobucket

But then sometimes I think "self, you actually do a good job most days of eating a healthy, varied diet - why not just be a good vegan and go with that?" And on that note, from this thread, I found the following info regarding P90X and being a vegan.

From Tony Horton's chef, Missy Costello.

In the vegan diet you will get your fat, carbs and proteins sometimes from the same source, so just watch the calorie intake and try to eat as clean as possible.
Here is Missy’s suggest
A.m. H2O upon waking up
Drink greens mixture about 30 minutes after waking
Breakfast: High fiber, whole grain cereal
Snack: Nuts (handful)
Lunch: Protein and green veggies
Snack: Fruit and Veggie
Dinner: Grains and Veggies
Optional: Fruit, Veggie Starch

You’ll get your protein from Quinoa, legumes, nuts, you’ll also get your healthy fats from nuts too. Don’t worry too much about how to label the food as to get in a nice, healthy variety.
Sub in legumes and nuts for proteins and green veggies for dairy.

Photobucket


And just for the heck of it, here's "appliance row"

Photobucket

And my door of kiddo art! 

Photobucket

5 comments:

x said...

Thanks for sharing your diet with us. I wasn't going to bother modifying mine as I assume that eating vegan is good enough but I read the P90X diet guide on the weekend and I'm wondering if I should at least count calories or plan my meals a bit more.

Sarah said...

Yeah I think if anything I should count because I don't eat enough? I'm fairly used to eating around 1200 and it's gotten me nowhere.

x said...

I used to use Calorie King but I stopped because working out the calories for home made meals is a pain in the butt! :P

I might do it again because after reading the diet guide, the calorie deficit thing confused me.

Sarah said...

You mean in the P90X nutrition guide? That says that P90X doesn't use a calorie deficit and that the major concern is to make sure you're getting enough calories (1800-3000 depending on your levels and whatnot) whereas most diet plans say you need to reduce your intake by, say, 500 calories a day so you should lower your consumption by 250 and burn 250 every day. P90X says EAT! :D

Chris said...

I also found the diet guide a bit confusing but was lucky enough to have a wife who runs vegetarian B&B http://www.cats-pjamas.com to help out. Just keep up the protein drinks and you should be OK.