Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Defogging my head

I've got more followers! Thanks all 71 of you :) I've been thinking about and wanting to be a better blogger, and I'm working on it.

So first, a bit on my foggy head.

Ever since going RAW (briefly, and only a few times) I have become more sensitive to foods I don't react well to. The first of these foods that comes to mind? Bear with me, it's a doozy! Kraft's Teddy Grahams Princess Cookies. I know, I know. There's so much wrong with that. I buy them for the kiddo sometimes when we accidentally walk past them in the store. But it never fails - even a single cookie makes my head feel foggy and off. The ingredients:

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, GRAHAM FLOUR (WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR), SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, HONEY, CALCIUM CARBONATE (SOURCE OF CALCIUM), MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, BAKING SODA, SOY LECITHIN, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), REDUCED IRON. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.


So, yes. They've got honey. I know. I generally avoid honey because I don't like it - veganism aside, but I have tried the whole eating local honey for allergies thing because I figure it's better off than most allergy medicines, which I take daily for my year round allergies. Year round allergies. I'd like to thank the state of Kansas for that development - until I moved there when I was 19, I never had allergies, and now I am endlessly plagued by them. So anyway, I take cetirizine (the generic version of Zyrtec - specifically, the Target brand, which seems to work better than Zyrtec) every day. Neti pots don't seem to work for me (though they are helpful when I have a cold sometimes) so I tried local honey in NH and now here. The point being that because of this, I do sometimes ingest stuff with honey it. I know. It's not vegan. I get it.

So I'm keeping track of foods I eat that make me feel like crap. Trying to, anyway. These are in the "make me feel instantly foggy and head-heavy" category, along with Super Pretzels, the ingredients of which are:

Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, corn syrup, yeast, salt, bicarbonates and carbonates of soda.

Anyone want to tell me what's trying to kill me? :D

4 comments:

A-K said...

A lot of people get foggy-headed from wheat/gluten, but I dunno how much wheat you otherwise eat and if that makes you foggy too. It could be some of the enrichers-of-the-flour though, too. Hope you figure it out!

Sarah said...

Thanks! It does seem that sometimes it's wheat/gluten, but sometimes w/g does nothing bad to me.

Abby said...

like your blog . . . was going to suggest the gluten thing as well as something that might bother you.

Sarah said...

Thanks Abby!! :)

I think I'll look into at least reducing, maybe eliminating gluten. I love seitan, so that's sad, but I'm almost out of wheat gluten anyway.