Thursday, October 01, 2009
Vegan MoFo, day 1!
Quiz stolen from Lauren.
Getting me started, for when I feel slow!
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I use soy in my coffee (Kikkoman Vanilla preferred), but I think the yummiest are homemade Almond or Brazil Nut milk.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
I'm doing high raw right now, so some raw soup. But other than that, I have no plans right now.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Salt and pepper.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
The first time I made seitan comes to mind. But a few days ago, I was making pasta for the kiddo when I somehow knocked ceramic cleaner and superglue into the pot. So, uhm, yeah.
5. Favorite pickled item?
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I have them everywhere, but I generally stick to cookbooks. My organization is so bad right now that the other recipes I have are hard to sort out.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash and garbage disposal.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Gazpacho, kale-potato-teese pizza, coffee with soymilk and sugar.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
The scariest one comes to mind - my mom used to make this hot dog casserole - hot dogs, potatoes and onions. Smell and taste - horrible! Still traumatized. She did make cute green tree spritz cookies for Christmas though. Mmm.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Purely Decadent Snickerdoodle.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Salt and pepper.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Vegan-wise, Isa Chandra Moskowitz' "Vegan with a Vengeance." I love it. It's fallen apart. I need a new copy.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Rayray's Mustard-y Fried Tofu. It's in the food porn section of the PPK. I'll look for it later.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu, but seitan, increasingly.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Wraps! I've discovered that an ezekiel wrap + vegenaise + avocado + sriracha + curried tofu (V'con) + veggies = awesome. It's easy and satisfying.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Tool box, recyclables.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
A gazillion kinds of nuts and seeds, tofutti vanilla ice cream (the kiddo likes vanilla) and year old cranberries.
20. What's on your grocery list?
Nothing right now, cause I'm moving soon and have a lot of stuff to use, and yesterday was CSA pick-up day. I could use more maple syrup, and more soy milk for the kiddo.
21. Favorite grocery store?
Right now I stick to Rising Tide Natural Foods for most stuff, but I also go to Market Basket and Hannafords, but going into Hannafords is asking for trouble cause it's pricey.
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
I think it's Crate & Barrel that sells these saffron cheesy rice balls that look/sound awesome.
23. Food blog you read the most.
Vegan Family Inc, formerly Green and Crunchy.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I like the Ritter Sport in marzipan and the Sweet and Sara s'mores things (thanks Karyn!). Oh, and these Uli Mana raw truffles.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Uli Mana raw truffles. The first time, I got them on sale. The second time, not so lucky.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
I know there's something - I'll think on it and get back to you!