Friday, June 09, 2006

Saved from my old kitchen!

Hurray! DH is in the Army and we just moved from a tiny apartment with a tinier kitchen to a huge apartment on post with a good size kitchen (with a dishwasher and a full size stove and fridge even)!! I can finally cook again! Hurray!

Anyway, I have made 2 of the recipes from Mercy For Animals Vegetarian Starter Guide - the Savory Pot Pie and the Shepherd's Pie. Not only are they both vegan, but they're both delicious and my omni-DH loved them both! Mr. I-Don't-Eat-Vegan-Food loved them! Woo hoo! (Oh and I'd like to state that he admitted he felt better after eating my vegan food than he does after eating the crap he eats!)

The pot pie recipe:

Savory Pot Pie (from the Mercy for Animals veg starter guide)


  • 4 cubes or 4 tbsp veggie or faux chicken boullion
  • 2 1/2 c. hot or boiling water
  • 1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. oil
  • 1 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 15.5 oz can potatoes, diced (i boiled and peeled 2 smallish-medium potatoes and diced those)
  • 1 1/2 c. frozen corn, peas, carrots mixed
  • 1/2 lb. faux chicken cut into tiny cubes (i used the Morningstar Farms Chicken strips meal starters)
  • 1 box puff pastry sheets

preheat the oven to 400. mix the veggie or faux chicken boullion w/ the hot water to make a stock. set aside.

combine the yeast and flour in a large pot and stir constantly over low heat, lightly until toasted. add the oil, stirring to make a roux. slowly whisk in the stock, the garlic salt and the pepper. add the vegetables and faux chicken. cook for 10 minutes.

roll out one sheet of puff pastry and place in a 9" pie dish, trim to fit. pour in the filling and cover w/ the other sheet, cutting and crimping the edges and making several one inch slices on top. bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed. (you can see from my pic that I used a 9"x13" casserole dish instead - I'm not great at following directions exactly;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Shepherd's pie (as per the MFA guide) was a welcome change from the days of my mom's shepherd's pie (no offense mom). Instead of ground cow I used the Morningstar Farms Crumbles mixed w/ frozen mixed veggies and a can of vegan mushroom gravy. I put that in my trusty casserole dish and topped it with from scratch vegan mashed potatoes. DH is loving me having a kitchen! (I'm making the pot pie for his omni-son this weekend - heheh!)

From an earlier experiment, I present a pic of tofu tacos. Ta da! (Not as good as the ones from Moe's Southwest, but oh well.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Also, I finally got a new bread machine, and my favorite recipe complements all meals wonderfully :)

Oatmeal Bread:

1 cup of water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
3 cups Bread Machine flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking or regular oats
1.5 teaspoon salt
2.75 teaspoons regular active dry yeast OR
2.25 teaspoons bread machine or quick-acting active dry yeast
Bake on Sweet Bread cycle

No comments: